Asthma Home > Treatment Tips for Budesonide Inhalation
Budesonide Inhalation EffectsIn clinical studies, people taking budesonide inhalation had improvements in breathing and asthma symptoms, compared to those not taking budesonide inhalation. However, budesonide inhalation is not an asthma cure.
When and How to Take Budesonide InhalationBudesonide inhalation comes in two formulations -- the budesonide inhalation inhaler and budesonide inhalation suspension (both are approved for use in children).
- The budesonide inhalation inhaler contains a dry powder that is inhaled using the force of your breath.
- The budesonide inhalation inhaler is used twice a day every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not to treat them.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each budesonide inhalation dose in order to prevent thrush.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your budesonide inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require some practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Each inhaler contains 60 or 120 sprays (depending on the strength). Each budesonide inhaler has a built-in dose counter that keeps track of how many inhalations have been dispensed. It starts at "60" or "120" and counts down to "0," at which point it should no longer be used.
- For budesonide inhalation to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
- Budesonide inhalation suspension is used in a nebulizer. You will need to purchase or rent a nebulizer in order to use this product.
- Budesonide inhalation suspension should only be used with jet nebulizers (the most common type of nebulizers), rather than ultrasonic nebulizers.
- Budesonide inhalation suspension is usually used once or twice a day. Gently shake each dose in a circular motion before use.
- Make sure you know exactly how to use and clean the nebulizer.
- Your child's mouth should be rinsed after each dose of budesonide inhalation.
- For this medication to work properly, they must be taken as prescribed. Budesonide inhalation will not work if you stop taking it.