For most adults and children over the age of 12, the recommended zafirlukast dose is 20 mg twice a day. The recommended dosage for children ages 5 to 11 is 10 mg twice daily. Zafirlukast should be taken on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal. For the medication to work properly, you must take it as prescribed. A few of the factors that can affect zafirlukast dosing include your age, other medical conditions you may have, and other drugs you are taking.
The dose of zafirlukast (Accolate®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your zafirlukast dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Zafirlukast Dosing for Asthma
The recommended zafirlukast dose for adults and adolescents ages 12 and older is 20 mg twice daily. For children ages 5 to 11 years old, the recommended dose of zafirlukast is 10 mg twice daily.
Following are some considerations for people taking zafirlukast:
- Zafirlukast comes in tablet form and is taken by mouth twice daily.
- The medication should be taken on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal.
- Zafirlukast should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For zafirlukast to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The drug will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or zafirlukast dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.