Other Important Information on Xopenex
In clinical studies, Xopenex started working within 10 to 17 minutes, and the effects lasted for five to six hours on average. In some people, the effects lasted as long as eight hours.
General considerations for when and how to take the medication include the following:
- It comes in a liquid form that is used in a nebulizer. You will need to purchase or rent a nebulizer in order to use the medication.
- Regular Xopenex vials are used without being diluted, while Xopenex concentrate vials will need to be diluted by adding 2.5 mL of sterile normal saline solution (sodium chloride 0.9 percent).
- Make sure you know exactly how to measure the dose and how to use and clean the nebulizer.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The severity of your asthma or other respiratory problems
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Xopenex Dosage for more information.)