The recommended Xopenex dosage for treating children ages 6 to 11 is 0.31 mg using a nebulizer three times a day. For adolescents and adults, the recommended starting dose is 0.63 mg three times a day. Factors that can affect your specific dose of Xopenex include the severity of your asthma or other respiratory condition and your age, among other things.
Dosage of Xopenex: An IntroductionThe dose of Xopenex® (levalbuterol hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The severity of your asthma or other respiratory problems
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Xopenex Dosing for ChildrenThe recommended Xopenex dose for children ages 6 to 11 is Xopenex 0.31 mg using a nebulizer three times a day. The maximum dose for this age group is Xopenex 0.63 mg three times a day.
Xopenex Dosage for Adults and AdolescentsFor adults and adolescents age 12 and over, the recommended starting dose is Xopenex 0.63 mg three times a day. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to Xopenex 1.25 mg three times a day.
- Xopenex comes in a liquid form that is used in a nebulizer. You will need to purchase or rent a nebulizer in order to use the medication.
- Regular Xopenex vials are used without being diluted, while Xopenex concentrate vials will need to be diluted by adding 2.5 mL of sterile normal saline solution (sodium chloride 0.9 percent), following your healthcare provider's instructions.
- Make sure you know exactly how to measure the dose and how to use and clean the nebulizer.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Xopenex or your Xopenex dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider.