The recommended starting Ventolin dose for treating or preventing an asthma attack is two sprays as needed, as frequently as every four to six hours. For preventing exercise-induced asthma, the recommended Ventolin dosage is two sprays 15 to 30 minutes before exercising. If Ventolin is not adequately controlling an asthma attack, seek medical attention immediately, as failing to treat an asthma attack can quickly turn into a medical emergency.
Ventolin Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Ventolin HFA® (albuterol inhaler) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Whether you use Ventolin to treat or prevent asthma attacks
- The severity of your asthma or other respiratory problems
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your Ventolin dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Ventolin Dosing for Asthma
To treat or prevent an asthma attack, the recommended Ventolin dosage is two sprays as needed, as frequently as every four to six hours. For some people, only one spray will be needed to control asthma symptoms. If you need to use your Ventolin asthma inhaler more often than prescribed, talk with your healthcare provider about taking an additional asthma medication.
If Ventolin is not adequately controlling an asthma attack, seek medical attention immediately, as this may be an emergency.
Ventolin Dosing for Exercise-Induced Asthma
For preventing exercise-induced asthma, the recommended dose of Ventolin is two sprays 15 to 30 minutes before exercising.
- Ventolin comes in a multi-dose inhaler (called an "MDI").
- For asthma treatment, some people take Ventolin only when they need it (during an asthma attack), while others take it regularly to help prevent attacks.
- It is recommended that you "test spray" your Ventolin inhaler before the first use or if it has not been used for a long period of time. To test spray the inhaler, spray it into the air four times by pressing on the top of the canister.
- Shake your Ventolin inhaler gently before each use.
- Wait at least one minute between inhalations.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Ventolin inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice. Some people (especially young children) may benefit from using a "spacer." If you have trouble using your inhaler, ask your healthcare provider about using a spacer.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Most people put the mouthpiece of the inhaler directly into their mouths. However, many healthcare professionals now recommend placing the inhaler an inch or two away from the mouth. Talk with your healthcare provider about the best way for you to use the inhaler.
- Each inhaler contains 200 sprays. Ventolin is the only inhaler with a built-in dose counter that keeps track of how many inhalations have been dispensed. It starts at "200" and counts down to "0," at which point it should no longer be used.
- Be sure that you always have a Ventolin asthma inhaler on hand (and that your Ventolin prescription has refills), as failing to treat an asthma attack can quickly turn into a medical emergency.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Ventolin dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.