Possible symptoms of a Symbicort overdose include dry mouth, fatigue, and seizures. If too much of the drug is taken, treatment options will typically focus on managing and alleviating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. This is called supportive care, and for a Symbicort overdose, can include things like giving IV fluids and medications to counteract Symbicort's effects.
Symbicort® (budesonide and formoterol) is a prescription medication used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It is a combination medication, containing a corticosteroid and a beta-adrenergic receptor agonist. Symbicort overdose effects will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much Symbicort is taken and whether it is taken with any other medicines, alcohol, street drugs, or a combination of these.
If you happen to overdose on Symbicort, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of a Symbicort overdose may include:
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Runny nose
- Increased salivation
- Chest pain
- High blood pressure (hypertension) or low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Heart palpitations (feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart)
- Rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Muscle cramps
- Dry mouth
- Insomnia or fatigue
- Low blood potassium (hypokalemia)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Cardiac arrest
- Loss of life.
Treatment for a Symbicort overdose typically involves supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Administering fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Giving medications to reverse the effect of Symbicort (such as beta blockers)
- Providing other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you may have overdosed on Symbicort.