For people who are taking salmeterol on a regular basis to treat asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the recommended salmeterol dosage is one inhalation twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses. The recommended salmeterol dose for preventing exercise-induced asthma is one inhalation 30 minutes before exercise. Be sure to talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or salmeterol dosing in general.
The dose of salmeterol xinafoate (Serevent®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on whether you take salmeterol on a regular schedule or only when needed to prevent exercise-induced asthma.
As always, do not adjust your salmeterol dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Salmeterol Dosing for Asthma or COPD
When taken on a regular basis to treat asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the recommended salmeterol dose is one inhalation twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
Salmeterol Dosing for Exercise-Induced Asthma
For preventing exercise-induced asthma, the recommended dose is one inhalation 30 minutes before exercise. Do not use salmeterol more frequently than every 12 hours, and do not use additional doses to prevent exercise-induced asthma if you already take salmeterol on a regular schedule (twice a day).
Following are some considerations for people taking salmeterol:
- Salmeterol is inhaled into the lungs, usually twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
- In the past, salmeterol came as a typical inhaler. However, now it comes as Serevent Diskus®, which contains dry powder.
- The Serevent Diskus is used differently than older inhalers. It contains small foil pockets which are filled with the powder. These pockets are punctured (by sliding the lever until it clicks), and the powder is inhaled using your own breath.
- Be sure to keep the Serevent Diskus horizontal while using it (otherwise the powder can spill out). Never exhale into the inhaler, as this will also disrupt the powder.
- Some people may not taste or feel the fine powder, even if they could taste the old salmeterol inhaler. Most of the taste is due to propellants (which are not used in the new Serevent Diskus).
- It is important to learn exactly how to use salmeterol. Make sure your healthcare provider shows you the steps needed to use salmeterol.
- Salmeterol should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or salmeterol dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.