Helpful Tips on the Qvar Inhaler
General Information on Dosing With Qvar
Some considerations for people taking Qvar include the following:
- Qvar comes in a metered-dose inhaler (called an "MDI").
- Qvar is taken twice a day every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not to treat them.
- You should "test spray" a Qvar inhaler before your first use of it or if you have not used it for a more than ten days. To test spray the inhaler, spray it into the air twice by pressing the top of the canister.
- Wait at least one minute in between inhalations.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each Qvar dose in order to prevent thrush.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Qvar inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Most people put the mouthpiece of the inhaler directly into their mouths. However, many healthcare professionals now recommend placing the inhaler an inch or two away from the mouth. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way for you to use the inhaler.
- Each inhaler contains 100 sprays. Try to keep track of approximately how many sprays you have used in order to know when to replace the inhaler. Do not place the inhaler in water to see if it is empty (although it was recommended to do so in the past).
- For Qvar to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Qvar or your Qvar dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.