How Does Pycnogenol Work?
contains a number of different active components and may have several different effects in the body. Specifically, many of the health benefits of Pycnogenol may be attributed to the following properties:
- Antioxidant effects -- Pycnogenol seems to have significant antioxidant potential, protecting cells from free-radical damage.
- Anti-inflammatory effects -- Pycnogenol may have anti-inflammatory effects in the body.
- Acting as an immune stimulant -- Research suggests that Pycnogenol may stimulate the immune system.
- Strengthening collagen and elastin -- Pycnogenol seems to strengthen collagen and elastin in the body.
- Lowering blood pressure -- Pycnogenol may slightly decrease blood pressure due to several different mechanisms.
Because Pycnogenol contains so many different active components, additional information about how exactly it works will likely become available in the future as more research is done.
Pycnogenol Use in Children
It is not known if Pycnogenol is safe or beneficial for use in children. Keep in mind that children may be more susceptible to side effects and toxicities of dietary supplements
and medications. Check with your child's healthcare provider before giving the supplement to your child. The manufacturer of Pycnogenol extract does not recommend that children under the age of six years old use this supplement.