Important Instructions for Pulmicort
In clinical studies, people taking Pulmicort had improvements in breathing and asthma symptoms, compared to those not taking it. However, this medication is not an asthma cure.
Pulmicort comes in two formulations -- the Pulmicort Flexhaler and Pulmicort Respules (both are approved for use in children).
How to Use the Pulmicort Flexhaler
Some general considerations for when and how to use the Pulmicort Flexhaler include the following:
- The Flexhaler contains a dry powder that is inhaled using the force of your breath.
- It is used twice a day every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not to treat them.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each dose in order to prevent thrush.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Pulmicort inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require some practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Each inhaler contains 60 or 120 sprays (depending on the strength). Each Pulmicort inhaler has a built-in dose counter that keeps track of how many inhalations have been dispensed. It starts at "60" or "120" and counts down to "0," at which point it should no longer be used.
- For Pulmicort to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
How to Use Pulmicort Respules
Some general considerations for when and how to use Pulmicort Respules include the following:
- Pulmicort Respules contain a liquid form of Pulmicort that is used in a nebulizer. You will need to purchase or rent a nebulizer in order to use Pulmicort Respules.
- They should only be used with jet nebulizers (the most common type of nebulizers), rather than ultrasonic nebulizers.
- Pulmicort Respules are usually used once or twice a day. Gently shake each Respule in a circular motion before use.
- Make sure you know exactly how to use and clean the nebulizer.
- Your child's mouth should be rinsed after each dose of Pulmicort.
- For Pulmicort Respules to work properly, they must be taken as prescribed. They will not work if you stop taking them.