Proventil Side Effects
In clinical trials of Proventil, side effects that were reported with the drug included shakiness, nausea, and a fast heart rate, among others. Other side effects reported with Proventil include nervousness, dizziness, and heartburn. While most Proventil side effects are minor, some may require immediate medical attention, such as an irregular heart rhythm.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Proventil® (albuterol inhaler); however, not everyone who takes Proventil will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate Proventil well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Proventil. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Proventil side effects with you. This article focuses on the traditional Proventil inhaler. For more information on the new, environmentally friendly inhaler, see Proventil HFA Side Effects.)
Proventil has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Proventil side effects included:
- Shakiness (tremor) -- in less than 15 percent of people
- Nausea -- less than 15 percent
- Fast heart rate (tachycardia) -- up to 10 percent
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations) -- less than 10 percent
- Nervousness -- less than 10 percent
- Increased blood pressure -- less than 5 percent
- Dizziness -- less than 5 percent
- Heartburn -- less than 5 percent.