Proventil HFA Warnings and Precautions
In the case of Proventil HFA, warnings and precautions to be aware of with the medication include those related to its potential to worsen conditions such as diabetes, epilepsy, or hyperthyroidism. Some other precautions and warnings to be aware of with Proventil HFA concern the drug's potential effects on heart rate and blood pressure.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Proventil® HFA (albuterol inhaler) if you have:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- A fast heart rate (tachycardia)
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Other types of heart disease, including congestive heart failure
- An overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Some warnings and precautions to be aware of with Proventil HFA include the following:
- Tell your healthcare provider immediately if you are using Proventil HFA more frequently than usual. Asthma symptoms can worsen very quickly and can become a medical emergency.
- Using Proventil HFA alone is rarely the best asthma treatment. Your healthcare provider should consider adding additional asthma medications.
- Rarely, Proventil HFA can cause a worsening of bronchospasms (spasms of the airways), which is exactly the opposite of what should happen. Tell your healthcare provider immediately if Proventil HFA makes your asthma worse.
- Proventil HFA can have a stimulatory effect on the heart and blood pressure. Fast heart rate (tachycardia), high blood pressure (hypertension), and irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia) may occur, although low blood pressure (hypotension) is also possible. If you have heart disease or high blood pressure, make sure your healthcare provider is aware of it. He or she may wish to use particular caution if he or she recommends Proventil HFA in your case.
- People with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), diabetes, or epilepsy should use caution when using Proventil, as Proventil may worsen these conditions or increase the risk of side effects.
- Do not puncture the Proventil HFA canister or keep it near open flame, as the contents are under pressure.
- Proventil HFA can interact with other medications (see Proventil HFA Drug Interactions).
- Proventil HFA is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that Proventil HFA may not be safe to use during pregnancy. Talk to your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of using Proventil HFA during pregnancy (see Proventil HFA and Pregnancy for more information).
- It is not known if Proventil HFA passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, be sure to talk with your healthcare provider about using Proventil HFA (see Proventil HFA and Breastfeeding for more information).