Proventil HFA Side Effects
Common side effects of Proventil HFA include such things as upper respiratory tract infections, nausea, and an irritated or runny nose. Other common side effects of the environmentally friendly inhaler include nervousness, vomiting, and fast heart rate. Although most Proventil HFA side effects are minor, some may require immediate medical attention. Notify your doctor right away if you experience an irregular heart rhythm or worsening breathing problems with Proventil HFA.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Proventil® HFA (albuterol inhaler); however, not everyone who takes Proventil HFA will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate Proventil HFA well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Proventil HFA. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Proventil HFA side effects with you.)
Proventil HFA has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Proventil HFA side effects included:
- Upper respiratory tract infection (similar to the common cold) -- in up to 21 percent of people
- Irritated or runny nose -- up to 16 percent
- Nausea -- up to 10 percent
- Shakiness (tremor) -- up to 7 percent
- Fast heart rate (tachycardia) -- up to 7 percent
- Nervousness -- up to 7 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 7 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in 3 to 6 percent of people, included:
- Unusual sensations in the mouth, throat, or lungs
- Allergic reactions
- Back pain
- Unusual taste
- Urinary tract infection (bladder infection or UTI).