Taking Proventil HFA Properly
Interested in a Discount on Proventil HFA?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
In clinical studies, Proventil HFA was shown to work just as well as the older albuterol inhalers (which are not environmentally friendly). Proventil HFA started working within six minutes, and the effects lasted for three hours, on average. Studies have also shown that taking the drug 30 minutes before exercise can help prevent exercise-induced asthma symptoms.
Some general considerations for when and how to take Proventil HFA include the following:
- Proventil HFA comes in a metered-dose inhaler (called an MDI).
- Some people take the medication only when they need it (during an asthma attack), while others take it regularly to help prevent attacks.
- You should test spray the inhaler before your first use of it or if you have not used it for a long time. To test spray the inhaler, spray it into the air by pressing on the top of the canister.
- Shake your Proventil HFA inhaler gently before each use.
- Wait at least one minute in between inhalations.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Most people put the mouthpiece of the inhaler directly into their mouths. However, many healthcare professionals now recommend placing the inhaler an inch or two away from the mouth. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way for you to use it.
- Each inhaler contains 200 sprays. Try to keep track of approximately how many sprays you have used in order to know when to replace the inhaler. Do not place the inhaler in water to see if it is empty (although doing so was recommended in the past).
- For Proventil HFA to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.