Proventil HFA Dosage
When treating asthma attacks with Proventil HFA, dosing guidelines generally call for two sprays as needed, as frequently as every four to six hours. The recommended Proventil HFA dosage for those using the inhaler to prevent exercise-induced asthma is two sprays taken 15 to 30 minutes before exercising.
The dose of Proventil® HFA (albuterol inhaler) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Whether you use Proventil HFA to treat or prevent asthma attacks
- The severity of your asthma or other respiratory problems
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Proventil HFA dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Proventil HFA Dosing for Asthma
To treat or prevent an asthma attack, the recommended Proventil HFA dose is two sprays of Proventil HFA as needed, as frequently as every four to six hours. For some people, only one spray will be needed to control asthma symptoms. If you need to use your Proventil HFA asthma inhaler more often than prescribed, talk to your healthcare provider about adding an additional asthma medication.
If Proventil HFA is not adequately controlling an asthma attack, seek medical attention immediately, as this may be an emergency.
Proventil HFA Dosing for Exercise-Induced Asthma
For preventing exercise-induced asthma, the recommended dose is two sprays 15 to 30 minutes before exercising.
Some considerations for people taking Proventil HFA include the following:
- Proventil HFA comes in a metered-dose inhaler (called an "MDI").
- For asthma treatment, some people take Proventil HFA only when they need it (during an asthma attack), while others take it regularly to help prevent attacks.
- You should "test spray" a Proventil HFA inhaler before your first use of it, or if you have not used it for a long period of time. To test spray the inhaler, spray it into the air by pressing on the top of the canister.
- Shake your Proventil HFA inhaler gently before each use.
- Wait at least one minute between inhalations.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Proventil HFA inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice. Some people (especially young children) may benefit from using a "spacer." If you have trouble using your inhaler, ask your healthcare provider about using a spacer.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Most people put the mouthpiece of the inhaler directly into their mouths. However, many healthcare professionals now recommend placing the inhaler an inch or two away from the mouth. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way for you to use the inhaler.
- Each inhaler contains 200 sprays. Try to keep track of approximately how many sprays you have used in order to know when to replace the inhaler. Do not place the inhaler in water to see if it is empty (although doing so was recommended in the past).
- Be sure that you always have a Proventil HFA asthma inhaler on hand (and that your Proventil HFA prescription has refills), as failing to treat an asthma attack can quickly turn into a medical emergency.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Proventil HFA or your Proventil HFA dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.