Specific Safety Concerns With Metaproterenol
Some Precautions and Warnings With MetaproterenolFollowing are some warnings and precautions to be aware of with metaproterenol:
- Tell your healthcare provider immediately if you are using metaproterenol more frequently than usual. Asthma symptoms can worsen very quickly and can become a medical emergency.
- Using metaproterenol alone is rarely the best asthma treatment. Your healthcare provider should consider prescribing additional asthma medications.
- Rarely, metaproterenol can make bronchospasms (spasms of the airways) worse, which is exactly the opposite of what should happen. Tell your healthcare provider immediately if metaproterenol makes your asthma worse.
- Metaproterenol can have a stimulatory effect on the heart and blood pressure. This can result in a fast heart rate (tachycardia), high blood pressure (hypertension), and an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia) -- though low blood pressure (hypotension) is also possible. If you have heart disease or high blood pressure, make sure your healthcare provider is aware of it. He or she may wish to use particular caution if he or she recommends metaproterenol in your case.
- People with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), diabetes, or epilepsy should use caution when taking metaproterenol, as metaproterenol may worsen these conditions or increase the risk of side effects.
- Metaproterenol can interact with certain other medications (see Drug Interactions With Metaproterenol).
- Metaproterenol is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that metaproterenol may not be safe to use during pregnancy. Talk with your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of using metaproterenol during pregnancy (see Alupent and Pregnancy for more information).
- It is not known if metaproterenol passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start breastfeeding, be sure to talk with your healthcare provider about using metaproterenol (see Alupent and Breastfeeding for more information).