Asthma Home > Side Effects of Xolair
Some of the most common Xolair side effects include reactions at the injection site, joint pain, and fatigue. While side effects are mostly minor with this drug, it is possible to develop serious problems that require immediate medical attention. Among these more serious side effects are worsening of asthma or signs of an allergic reaction.
An Introduction to Side Effects of XolairAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Xolair® (omalizumab). However, not everyone who takes this medicine will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with this medicine. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Xolair side effects with you.)
Common Xolair Side EffectsXolair has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, some of the most common side effects of Xolair included:
- Injection site reactions (such as pain or redness at the injection site) -- in up to 45 percent of people
- Headache -- up to 12 percent
- Symptoms of the common cold (such as runny or stuffy nose and sore throat) -- up to 9.1 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 8 percent
- Body pain -- up to 7 percent
- Sinus infection -- up to 4.9 percent
- Leg pain -- up to 4 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infection -- up to 3.4 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 3 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 3 percent
- Nausea -- up to 2.7 percent
- Cough -- up to 2.2 percent.
Some other common side effects, occurring in 1 percent to 2 percent of people, included:
- Broken bones
- Arm pain