Asthma Home > What Is the Best Way to Take Pulmicort?
General Pulmicort Dosage InformationPulmicort comes in two formulations -- the Pulmicort Flexhaler and Pulmicort Respules (both are approved for use in children).
How to Use the Pulmicort Flexhaler
Some general considerations for when and how to use the Pulmicort Flexhaler include the following:
- The Pulmicort Flexhaler contains a dry powder that is inhaled using the force of your breath.
- The Pulmicort Flexhaler is used twice a day every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not to treat them.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each Pulmicort dose in order to prevent thrush.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Pulmicort inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require some practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Each inhaler contains 60 or 120 sprays (depending on the strength). Each Pulmicort inhaler has a built-in dose counter that keeps track of how many inhalations have been dispensed. It starts at "60" or "120" and counts down to "0," at which point it should no longer be used.
- For Pulmicort to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Pulmicort will not work if you stop taking it.
How to Use Pulmicort Respules
Some general considerations for when and how to use Pulmicort Respules include the following:
- Pulmicort Respules contain a liquid form of Pulmicort that is used in a nebulizer. You will need to purchase or rent a nebulizer in order to use Pulmicort Respules.
- Pulmicort Respules should be used only with jet nebulizers (the most common type of nebulizers), rather than ultrasonic nebulizers.
- Pulmicort Respules are usually used once or twice a day. Gently shake each Pulmicort Respule in a circular motion before use.
- Make sure you know exactly how to use and clean the nebulizer.
- Your child's mouth should be rinsed after each dose of Pulmicort.
- For Pulmicort Respules to work properly, they must be taken as prescribed. Pulmicort Respules will not work if you stop taking them.