Asthma Home > Rare and Serious Problems With Proventil HFA
There are a number of possible side effects with Proventil HFA that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider, including, but not limited to:
- Worsening breathing problems
- Irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Very fast heart rate (tachycardia)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Depression (see Proventil HFA and Depression)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.
There are other possible Proventil HFA side effects that occur less frequently. These side effects occur in less than 3 percent of people. In the case of these problems, it is difficult to tell whether they are the result of Proventil HFA or other factors.
Some of these possible less common Proventil HFA side effects include, but are not limited to:
- Voice change
- Increased sweating
- Dry mouth
- Swelling or water retention (edema)
- Coordination problems
- Leg cramps
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
It is possible that you may experience some or none of the Proventil HFA side effects explained above. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking Proventil HFA. Also, let your healthcare provider know if you develop something that "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect of Proventil HFA, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.