Asthma Home > Asmanex Dosage
When treating asthma attacks with Asmanex, dosing guidelines will vary depending on several factors, such as the severity of your asthma and other medications you may be taking. For people taking just inhaled asthma medications, the starting Asmanex dose is 220 mcg (one inhalation) once daily in the evening. For people taking oral steroids, the starting dosage of Asmanex is 440 mcg (two inhalations) twice daily.
An Introduction to Asmanex DosageThe dose of Asmanex® (mometasone inhaler) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your asthma
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Asmanex Dosing for Asthma
For asthma treatment in adults and adolescents who are at least 12 years old, the recommended Asmanex dose varies depending on what type of asthma medication a person has been previously taking.
For people taking only inhaled asthma medications, the starting dose is Asmanex 220 mcg (one inhalation) once daily in the evening, and the maximum dose is Asmanex 440 mcg (two inhalations) once daily in the evening or Asmanex 220 mcg (one inhalation) twice daily.
For people taking oral steroids (such as prednisone), the starting dose (and maximum dose) is Asmanex 440 mcg (two inhalations) twice daily.
- Asmanex comes in a special inhaler called the Asmanex Twisthaler®.
- Asmanex is taken once or twice a day every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not to treat them.
- The Asmanex Twisthaler works differently from other inhalers. It contains a dry powder that is inhaled using the force of your breath. You may not be able to taste or feel the powdered medication.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Asmanex inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require some practice.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each Asmanex dose in order to prevent thrush.
- The Asmanex Twisthaler must be discarded 45 days after it is removed from the foil packaging, or when the dose counter reads "00" (meaning there are no more doses left in the inhaler).
- For Asmanex to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Asmanex will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Asmanex dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.