What You Need to Know About Formoterol's Effects and Treatment Instructions
Effects of FormoterolThe following sections describe the results of clinical studies done on formoterol for asthma and COPD.
In clinical studies, formoterol was shown to improve breathing in adults and children with asthma. The medication also decreased the chance of waking up at night due to asthma. In other studies, when formoterol was given to people who were also taking steroid asthma medications, it further improved asthma symptoms. When taken at least 15 minutes before exercise, the drug was shown to help prevent exercise-induced asthma attacks.
In clinical trials, formoterol was given to people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). People taking it showed improved lung function when compared to those not taking the drug.
When and How to Take ItGeneral considerations for when and how to take formoterol include the following:
- The medication is inhaled into the lungs, usually twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
- Formoterol comes in capsule form, although these capsules should never be swallowed. They are used in the Aerolizer®. The Aerolizer punctures the capsule, and then the powder is inhaled using your own breath.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Aerolizer. Make sure your healthcare provider shows you the steps needed to use it properly.
- Formoterol should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood, unless you only take it in order to prevent exercised-induced asthma attacks.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.