Formoterol Dosing: An Introduction
The dose of formoterol
) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on whether you take the medication on a regular basis or if you take it only when needed to prevent exercise-induced asthma
As is always the case, do not adjust your formoterol dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Formoterol Dosing for Exercise-Induced Asthma
For preventing exercise-induced asthma, the recommended dose is one inhalation 15 minutes before exercise. Do not use formoterol more frequently than every 12 hours, and do not use additional doses to prevent exercise-induced asthma if you already take formoterol on a regular basis (that is, twice a day).
General Information on Formoterol Dosing
Considerations for people taking formoterol include the following:
- The medication is inhaled into the lungs, usually twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
- Formoterol comes in capsule form, although these capsules should never be swallowed. They are used in the Aerolizer®. The Aerolizer punctures the capsule, and then the powder is inhaled using your own breath.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use the Aerolizer. Make sure your healthcare provider shows you the steps needed to use it properly.
- Formoterol should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood, unless you only take it in order to prevent exercised-induced asthma attacks.
- If you are unsure about anything related to formoterol or formoterol dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider.