Flovent Side Effects
Some of the common side effects of Flovent include upper respiratory tract infections, headaches, and throat irritation. A few other problems reported with the inhaler include sinus infections, bronchitis, and hoarseness. Some side effects can be serious, such as unexplained weight gain or signs of an allergic reaction. You should report such reactions to your healthcare provider as soon as possible.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Flovent® HFA (fluticasone inhaler); however, not everyone who takes this medicine will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Flovent. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Flovent side effects with you.)
Flovent has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to those that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Flovent side effects included:
- Throat irritation -- in up to 22 percent of people
- Upper respiratory tract infections (similar to the common cold) -- up to 21 percent
- Headaches -- up to 14 percent
- Sinus infections -- up to 10 percent
- Bronchitis -- up to 8 percent
- Thrush -- up to 9 percent
- Nausea and vomiting -- up to 8 percent
- Fever -- up to 7 percent
- Hoarseness or voice changes -- up to 6 percent
- Cough -- up to 6 percent.