How to Use the Flovent Diskus
How to Use the Flovent DiskusSome general considerations for when and how to use the Flovent Diskus include the following:
- The Flovent Diskus is used twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
- The Flovent Diskus is used differently than older inhalers. It contains small foil pockets which contain the powder. These pockets are punctured (by sliding the lever until it clicks), and the powder is inhaled using your own breath.
- Rinse out your mouth (without swallowing) after each dose, in order to prevent thrush.
- Be sure to keep the Flovent Diskus horizontal while using (otherwise the powder can spill out). Never exhale into the inhaler, as this will also disrupt the powder.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Flovent Diskus. It may be difficult at first and may require practice.
- Some people may not taste or feel the fine powder. Most of the taste is due to propellants (which are not used in the Flovent Diskus).
- Flovent Diskus should be used at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For this medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of Flovent your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The severity of your asthma
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Flovent Dosage for more information.)