What You Need to Know About Cromolyn Inhalation
In clinical studies, people taking cromolyn inhalation had improvements in breathing and asthma symptoms, compared to those not taking the medication. Cromolyn inhalation is not an asthma cure, however.
Cromolyn inhalation comes in two formulations: the inhaler and the nebulizer solution (which is approved for use in young children).
How to Use the Inhaler
Some general considerations for when and how to use the cromolyn inhaler include the following:
- Some people use their inhaler on a regular basis, while others use it just before exercising to prevent exercise-induced asthma attacks or attacks due to predictable causes.
- You should "test spray" each inhaler before your first use of it, or if you have not used it for a long time. To test spray the inhaler, spray it into the air by pressing on the top of the canister.
- Shake your cromolyn asthma inhaler gently before each use.
- Wait at least one minute in between inhalations.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Most people put the mouthpiece of the inhaler directly into their mouths. However, many healthcare professionals now recommend placing the inhaler an inch or two away from the mouth. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way for you to use it.
- Each inhaler contains 112 or 200 sprays (depending on the inhaler size). Try to keep track of approximately how many sprays you have used in order to know when to replace the inhaler. Do not place the inhaler in water to see if it is empty (although it was recommended to do so in the past).
- For cromolyn inhalation to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
How to Use the Nebulizer Solution
Some general considerations for when and how to use cromolyn nebulizer solution include the following:
- The nebulizer solution is a liquid form of cromolyn inhalation that is used in a nebulizer. You will need to purchase or rent a nebulizer in order to use the solution.
- Make sure you know exactly how to use and clean the nebulizer.
- For the cromolyn nebulizer solution to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.