Instructions for Taking Budesonide Inhalation
General Budesonide Inhalation Dosing InformationBudesonide inhalation comes in two formulations -- the budesonide inhaler and budesonide inhalation suspension (both are approved for use in children).
How to Use the Budesonide Inhalation
Some general considerations for when and how to use the budesonide inhalation include the following:
- The budesonide inhaler contains a dry powder that is inhaled using the force of your breath.
- The inhaler is used twice a day every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not to treat them.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each budesonide inhalation dose in order to prevent thrush.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require some practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Each inhaler contains 60 or 120 sprays (depending on the strength). Each budesonide inhaler has a built-in dose counter that keeps track of how many inhalations have been dispensed. It starts at "60" or "120" and counts down to "0," at which point it should no longer be used.
- For budesonide inhalation to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. This medication will not work if you stop taking it.
How to Use Budesonide Inhalation Suspension
Some general considerations for when and how to use budesonide inhalation suspension include the following:
- Budesonide inhalation suspension is used in a nebulizer. You will need to purchase or rent a nebulizer in order to use this product.
- Budesonide inhalation suspension should be used only with jet nebulizers (the most common type of nebulizers), rather than ultrasonic nebulizers.
- This medication is usually used once or twice a day. Gently shake each dose in a circular motion before use.
- Make sure you know exactly how to use and clean the nebulizer.
- Your child's mouth should be rinsed after each dose of budesonide inhalation.
- For budesonide inhalation suspension to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.