Prevention of Asthma
There is no cure for asthma, but there are several things you can do to help prevent asthma attacks. Suggestions include washing your pet once a week, avoiding tobacco smoke, and getting a flu shot. Other steps to take for the prevention of attacks include avoiding the things that trigger your asthma symptoms and following your treatment plan.
It is not yet known how to prevent asthma, but there are some things that can lower your chances of an asthma attack.
There are some common ways to help prevent an asthma attack. But remember, everyone is different. Some people have trouble with pollen; others are affected by tobacco smoke. Still others may have trouble with animal dander.
Follow the steps that make sense for you. For example:
- Wash your pet once a week
- Do not smoke
- Do not allow smoking in your home
- Stay indoors with the air conditioner on when the pollen count is high
- Wash your bedding, clothes, and stuffed toys once a week in hot water
- Wash your hands often
- Get a flu shot
- Wear a scarf over your mouth and nose in the winter
- Be aware of what makes you have asthma attacks, and try to stay away from those triggers
- Follow your asthma treatment plan.