Clinical Effects and Guidelines for Asmanex
Effects of AsmanexIn clinical studies, people taking Asmanex had improvements in asthma symptoms, compared to those not taking it. In these studies, people already taking oral steroids for asthma were able to decrease or eliminate their oral steroid when they began taking Asmanex. However, this medication is not an asthma cure.
- The medication comes in a special inhaler called the Asmanex Twisthaler®.
- Asmanex is taken once or twice a day, every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not to treat them once they start.
- The Asmanex Twisthaler works differently from other inhalers. It contains a dry powder that is inhaled using the force of your breath. You may not be able to taste or feel the powdered medication.
- It is important that you learn exactly how to use your inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require some practice.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each dose in order to prevent thrush.
- The Asmanex Twisthaler must be discarded 45 days after it is removed from the foil packaging, or when the dose counter reads "00" (meaning there are no more doses left in the inhaler).
- For Asmanex to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Asmanex your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your asthma
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Asmanex Dosage for more information.)