Tips on Taking Alvesco
General considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Alvesco include the following:
- This medication comes in a metered-dose inhaler (called an "MDI").
- Alvesco is taken twice a day every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not treat them.
- There is no need to shake this particular inhaler.
- Wait at least one minute in between inhalations if you take more than one inhalation at a time.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each dose of Alvesco in order to prevent thrush.
- As with any inhaler, it is important to learn exactly how to use your Alvesco inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Do not wash or put any part of the inhaler in water.
- For Alvesco to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking this medication suddenly, especially if you have been taking high doses for a long time.
The dose of Alvesco your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Alvesco
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Alvesco Dosage to learn more.)