Proper Treatment With Alvesco
General Information on Taking AlvescoConsiderations to keep in mind during treatment with Alvesco include the following:
- This medication comes in a metered-dose inhaler (called an "MDI").
- Alvesco is taken twice a day, every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not to treat them. Remember that it can take up to four weeks for Alvesco to start working.
- There is no need to shake this particular inhaler.
- Wait at least one minute in between inhalations if you take more than one inhalation at a time.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each Alvesco dosage in order to prevent thrush.
- As with any inhaler, it is important to learn exactly how to use your Alvesco inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Do not wash or put any part of the inhaler in water.
- For Alvesco to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking it suddenly, especially if you have been taking high doses for a long period.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Alvesco, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.