Instructions on Taking Albuterol Tablets
Following are some general considerations for when and how to take albuterol tablets:
- Albuterol tablets are taken by mouth. The short-acting albuterol tablets are usually taken three or four times per day, while extended-release albuterol tablets are usually taken twice daily.
- Extended-release albuterol tablets should not be chewed, broken, or crushed. Be sure to swallow extended-release albuterol tablets whole.
- It does not matter if you take albuterol tablets with or without food.
- Albuterol tablets should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For albuterol tablets to work properly, they must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of albuterol tablets that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Whether you are taking short-acting or long-acting albuterol tablets
- Your age
- The severity of your asthma or other respiratory problems
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose of albuterol tablets unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Albuterol Tablet Dosage for more information about dosing for albuterol tablets.)